|Schuster Brewing Company, Massillon, Ohio|
From the 1903 book, One Hundred Years of Brewing:
"Schuster Brewing Company, Massillon, Ohio. -- Under the firm name of McLain & Company, J. H. McLain, C. Schott and Julius Wittman, in February, 1883, founded a brewery at Massillon, Ohio. The first refrigerating machine was put in during 1890, the bottling-works of the plant having been established since 1893. McLain & Company (the Massillon Brewing Company) were succeeded, on December 21, 1887, by Erhardt & Schimke, who operated the plant until April, 1893, when the Erhardt interest was sold to Mr. Schimke. He continued the business until his death, which occurred within a short period thereafter, his widow conducting the enterprise until May 15, 1894. On that date the plant was purchased by Anton Kopp, who sold it to John W. Schuster on June 16, 1898. Mr. Schuster continued the old plant until July 1, 1900, when he formed a stock company. The brewery was closed in July, 1901, and the business transferred to the new modern plant, erected on West street, containing all modern appliances, such as bottling-works, mechanical refrigeration, etc. The business is now conducted as the Schuster Brewing Company. The officers in 1902 were: John W. Schuster, president, treasurer and manager; Fred Kuefer, vice-president; and Frank Schuster, secretary."
Webmaster's Note: The Schuster Brewing Company joined the Stark-Tuscarawas Breweries Company in 1904, and closed in 1919. Although permits were issued to brew beer after Prohibition, the brewery never re-opened.
WARNING: This material is protected by U.S. copyright law.
Unauthorized duplication is illegal and strictly prohibited.
Permission for usage may be granted by request. Click Here.